Here’s a collection of resources that can help you get started on your roller derby journey!
- Basics of Play – Roller Derby Wikipedia – A really good starting point if you are completely clueless about the sport.
- Silicon Valley Roller Girls Glossary of derby terms – A useful glossary for terms used in the sport.
- Roller Derby for Beginners – A new blog for new and potential roller derby skaters.
- Roller Derby Compendium for Freshies Worldwide – An international Facebook group for Beginners or Raw Meat and Fresh Meat Skaters and everything in between.
Skills & Training
- The FCRD Derby Skills blog
- Urrk’n Derby – Derby skill broken down in easy to learn, step-by-step instructional videos.
- Roller Derby Athletics – Training tips to help you develop your body for derby and avoid injury.
- Flat Mat Yoga – Derby training for your inner yogi
- Get on Skates! Check out the Qdoba Events Center & Rollerland Skate Center websites for Open Skate Sessions
- Derby Gear Advice – Answers to common derby gear questions.
- The Skate Wheels Reference Guide can help you find the right wheel for the right surface!
- Sk8 Ratz – FCRD’s favorite local skate shop!
- Looking around for used gear? Check out the Roller Derby Recyclables group on Facebook!
- Derby Deals – A Facebook Group for used or new Roller Derby equipment to be bought or sold.
- The Rules of Flat Track Roller Derby by WFTDA
- Questions about the rules? Check out the WFTDA Rules Q&A to find answers!
- Minimum Skills requirements by WFTDA
- Studying for the written test? Quiz yourself so you’re ready at Roller Derby Test O’ Matic
Game play & Strategy
- How to get the most out of watching a derby bout live?
- WFTDA Archives – to watch some real roller derby!
- Roller Derby Junkies – A gif gallery of roller derby moments illustrating strategies, skills, or rules.